Saturday, October 9, 2010

Assignment #4

From Chap 7 "Conflict"
Even though I've never had a serious conflict before, I would like to mention about this topic. Recently I've realized I tend to stay back from conflicts even when times conflicts and tough discussions are necessary. I try to protect myself from being offended and I don't want to make others uncomfortable with my words or behavior. However, since I entered ICU I've been through a lot of discussions, seen quarrels between friends and couples. One thing that I noticed was that conflicts are not always bad because it might create a closer&better relationship. You might have a tough time dealing with the problem but it might be also worthwhile to have a deeper discussion. Once I was told by my friend I need to have my opinion and show my feeling more cleary. I'm working on this aspect right now so that I can have a meaningful relation in the future.
From the book I got clues for working as a leader. For example I was encouraged from the part, "The challenge is not how to eliminate conflicts, but rather how to manage them in productive ways that strengthen bonds among team members." In addition to it, another specific hint for me was Shackleton's work of encouraging others to tell him any disagreements so that he could keep abreast of mounting tensions or damaging alliances. I thought the most important thing is to make sure all people feel they are engaged in the process and treating everyone with respect.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Naoko,

    Thanks for your post. I especially like the quotation you provided and the notion that not so much avoiding conflict but managing conflict is the key, and that we can gain from conflict. There is the term "conflict positive" that captures this attitude.

    I think this idea is especially true of couples in a relationship. Conflict cannot be avoided, so managing the conflict is the key.

    I have more on this topic if you are interested. It could make a good final project topic.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Naoko,

    Actually, I've also realized that I tend to stay back from conflicts to protect myself...
    I'm on the way to overcome this attitude, but it is hard because I have to 'meet' the conflicts to deal with them. It means that I might not be able to protect myself. It needs much brave for me.

    I think you could have already overcome this matter, from our negotiation of 'wine and bottle.' You seemed to be a good negotiator!!!

    Be confident in your ability^^
    Tatsuya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naoko♥!
    I completely agree with your opinion that conflicts create closer and better relationship.
    In fact, I've had conflicts with my best friends when I was in high school and it made our friendship more strong because we were able to understand each other more ;)

    ReplyDelete